A Sense of Agency
We have a sense of ‘agency’ when we feel in control of things that happen around us; when we feel that we can influence events. This is an important sense for learners to develop. Learners must understand:
- when they need new learning and how to learn what they need
- when they need to unlearn what will no longer serve them
- when they need to relearn what they need to be successful
They must develop the capacity to engage strategically in their learning without waiting to be directed. They must take ownership of and responsibility for their learning. And, they must possess the skills to learn independently, without heavy dependence on external structures and direction.
So what is Learner Agency?
- Know how they learn best.
- Are proactive in their learning.
- Set goals and action steps
- Develop learning strategies and skills to support meeting the action steps.
- Select appropriate tools and resources for each task
- “Develop curiosity to learn about the world with the world.” @julielindsay
- Self-direct and monitor progress in learning.
- Reflect on evidence of learning.
- Identify their passion and purpose for learning.
- Foster an authentic and meaningful life.
(the source of this explanation: https://barbarabray.net/2017/11/08/defining-learner-agency/)